Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Walk Around the World

Work is going slowly but surely here. To distract myself from the monotony of carbon paper, I've been making my way through the many graphic novels I got for Christmas. This morning, I was reading The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman, and I ran across this quote:

"My dream is to walk around the world. A smallish backpack, all essentials neatly in place. A camera. A notebook. A traveling paint set. A hat. Good shoes. A nice pleated (green?) skirt for the occasional seaside hotel afternoon dance."

This quote brings me back to my first day in London. We had gotten off the plane and taken to our hotel, then went to our school for a few information sessions and a meet-and-greet. Then, the entire afternoon was ours to do with whatever we wished. They warned us not to go to sleep until that night (to get over the jetlag appropriately), so a nap was out of the question (even though I so didn't want it to be.) So, fueled by adrenaline and curiosity, Allie and I set out on a walk.

I didn't have a phone. I didn't have much cash. My only ID at this point was my passport, which we'd been told was not a good idea to bring with you on casual outings (as it could get easily stolen). It was much too cold in London for a green pleated skirt, but I did have on my good walking shoes and my winter hat. All I had in my pockets was my camera, my notebook and pen, and a few pounds. And I've never felt so free, so unhindered, so curious. I felt safe, I felt inspired, I felt open. Reading Maira Kalman's quote took me back to that moment and gave me new energy to focus on my project. Because I want to share how London made me feel.


A photo from the walk I took with Allie my first day in London, when I was wandering around going "How did we get here?!" Look, it's Buckingham Palace!

So, Maira Kalman, can I join you on that walk around the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment